09 July 2011

Grad School and Other Things

I know that I promised to write every week.  And I will!  Starting now.  I sheepishly apologize for my lack of updates, and cite graduate school as my excuse.  I also know that the premise of this blog is that it is about things like travels and crafts, but this post focuses on studying.

As I write this, I'm five days away from the end of my first graduate school class.  It has been nothing like I thought it would be.  I'm still glad to be here and I know that I've learned a lot, but at the same time I recognize that it's not exactly what I expected.  It lasted for 4 hours a day, three days a week.  We turned in a project (of which the shortest was five pages and the longest so far was 11) every two days.  I've researched and read and written.  And for the first time in my life, I did homework until 3 a.m. not because I procrastinated, but because there really was just that much to do.   I'm not really complaining, mind you, but telling you how life has been.  I know not every class will have quite this much work in such a condensed period, but it's been a wild ride.  All I have left is to finish writing a research guide (compilation of sources and descriptions of those sources to help researchers) on my childhood hero and attend two more lectures and I'm done!

On a side note, in my other class we're learning all kinds of crazy computer skills. Those of you who know me in "real life" know that I'm not the best with computers (or any technology, really).  However, I can now get around in UNIX, and will be learning programming languages and things too.  Who knew those were essential skills for librarians?  :P  I guess I'm learning things already.  Crazy grad school.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment